Augusto Boal: call for immediate help

kenneth mccoy kmccoy at ANDY.BGSU.EDU
Tue Oct 12 11:37:21 EDT 1993

For those interested in theatre or Latin American culture and politics, I
forward the message below, sent to the Perform-l listserv by Richard
Schechner after having been received by him via fax from Rio de Janiero.

Rio de Janeiro   9 October 1993

Dear Friends,

We need your help, URGENTLY, VERY VERY URGENTLY!!!

As you know, Augusto Boal, after having created the Theatre of the Oppressed
[...], decided with his centr of TO of Rio de Janeiro to research a new form
of theatre, the Legislative Theatre, democratizing politics through theatre.
With this platform he was elected "Vereador" (representative) in the Workers'
Party (PT) and since march has already formed 12 popular groups using
theatre (landless peasants, childlren of the street, grade unions, students,
religious groups, etc.). The forum sessions done by those groups are helping
Boal to prepare projects of law [legislation] to be presented at the
Chamber [where Boal serves].

        The enormous success of this work [...] is driving the reactionaries
mad. And we are being aggressed [against] from all over.

        Three months ago, the Center directed by Boal signed a contract to
do 7 mini-frestivals with the groups that his mandate is creating in the
popular [working class and poor] quarters of Rio. Those mini-festivals were
enormously successful! The signature of this contract was officially revealed
by Helena Severo (the Secretary of Culture of the City [Rio]) and by Boal
himself during an official session at the Chamber of Vereadores in the
presence of many Vereadores. This was officially registered in the Journal
of the Chamber. All veradores accepted this [contract] as being legal, good,
and normal. No one protested. Last Monday, a newspaper, notoriously anti-PT,
started a campaign against Boal, claiming that the contract was against
the law, that he as Verador could not sign that contract. Our lawyers
insist that it is perfectly legal, because it was the CTO {Center of the
Theatre of the Oppressed) who signed it, not Boal himself.

        Since last Monday and until today, Saturday [9 October]--the same
newspaper publishes headlines on the front page [...]. Every day they publish
the photo of Boal and Helena Severol under the title, "The Secretary and
the Vereador: Dangerous Relations" (Les Liaisons Dangereuse) making all
sorts of insinuations and hideous comments. They don't question the honesty
of the contract but its legality.

        Now three months after signing the contract, after realizing the
mini-fesitivals (we did 12 instead of 7), and after having been fully
informed of it [the contract, the festivals] by Boal and Helena Severo,
during an official session at the Chambger, some vereadores decided to
ask the Chamber to oust Boal, [...] thus making impossible his work on
the Legislative Theatre.

        Probably next Wednesday or Thursdayt [13 or 14 October], the Chamber
will decide. WE NEED YOUR HELP. Many Brazilian popular organizations have
already sent us telegrams and letters supporting Boal, many Brazilian
personalities have done the same, including the Cardinal of Sao Paulo and
other religious persons, popular singers and sportsmen, politicians,
scientists, professors, etc. Now we need international support.

        Please, send VERY URGENTLY, right now, if possible, a telegram
[or fax] of solidarity to:

        Augusto Boal
        Rua Fraqncisco Otaviano 185
        apt 41
        Ipanema, Arpoador
        Rio de Janeiro 22 080 040

Or fax him: 005521-267-1869

        Tell him vividly what you think of his work and whatever else you
want to say.

        INTERNATIONAL SOLIDARITY IS VERY IMPORTANT, IS VITAL!!! AND
URGENT!!!

        Please contact other people and other organizations [...] explaining
to them the situation and askiung them to send telegrams or faxes. [...]

        We sincerely thank you and we are certain that with your help
Augusto Boal will continue to be Vereador and will continue to work with
us on our project, the Legistlative Theatre.

[Signed}

CENTRO DO TEATRO DO OPRIMIDO DO RIO DE JANEIRO
Teatro Glauce Rocha
Avenida Rio Branco 179
Centreo
Rio de Janeiro R.J.