research info

kenneth mccoy kmccoy at ANDY.BGSU.EDU
Tue Oct 19 00:13:24 EDT 1993

On Mon, 18 Oct 1993, Mitch Hogg wrote:

> I am trying to find information for a thesis:  costuming women
> in general, and the nude on stage in particular.  The problem
> I keep running into is the lack of anything dealing with costume
> specifically.  What I have been looking at deals with the
> representation of women in theatre, but from a theoretical
> standpoint.  I could use sources that provide practical, concrete
> examples.  Any suggestions?

I would suggest looking at old stills from early moving pictures. I'm not
a film scholar myself, but I've often heard it said that the early film
directors occasionally emulated stage costuming. Also, films made before
the Hayes commission would likely contain some nude or nearly nude
examples. Look also at photos in books on vaudeville, and that sort of
thing, as well as some works of photographers. In other words, you may
have to draw your own conclusions based on "available" data.

I think it's a great thesis idea, though. Good luck.

        Ken