CALL FOR PAPERS

Susan Bennett sbennett at ACS.UCALGARY.CA
Tue Sep 28 13:31:18 EDT 1993

ACTR/ARTC Annual Conference
Calgary, June 4-6, 1994
Call for Papers

The ACTR/ARTC conference for 1994 will be held from June
4-6 at the University of Calgary as part of the Learned Societies
Conference.

Our focus for this year's conference is GENDERS AND GENRES.  While
we welcome proposals on any topic of interest to the Association,
we are particularly interested in exploring the genders and genres
which have been omitted from traditional theatre history.  Research
in areas such as street theatre, dance, mime, clowning, performance art,
mask work, improvisation, stand-up comedy, and theatre for young
audiences can expand our own and others' sense of what constitutes
Canadian theatre.  To this end, we encourage proposals on genres
that have been hitherto largely ignored as well as the
relationship between gender and the production/reception of
particular genres within theatre/drama.

Presentations can last no more than twenty minutes each (for a
traditional paper, this is about 10-12 double-spaced pages, ca.
3,000 words), allowing for an additional ten minutes for questions
and discussion.  As well as the traditional paper, we welcome other
modes of presentation (performance, discussion panel, etc.) if this
is more suited to your topic.

Proposals for papers, in the form of a 300-word abstract, in
either English or French, should be submitted NO LATER THAN
NOVEMBER 15 to:
Susan Bennett
Department of English
University of Calgary