Requests for information

Winston D. Neutel winston at EREWHON.UUCP
Thu May 19 16:11:00 EDT 1994

I have a list of questions for the subscribers of CANDRAMA at unb.ca.  I am a
fourth year undergraduate student in Theatre Arts.

1) What are the best anthologies of Canadian Plays?  I am especially eager
to find the most recent such collections.  Any advice on what combination of
anthologies provides the best "coverage"?

2) I would like to know of any (ie. all) theatre companies or festivals that
either do Canadian plays exclusively or include it as part of their mandate
to actively promote Canadian work in some manner.  Again, I am especially
interested in those that would do newwer work.

3) What are the best bookstores (new and used books) for finding plays or
books on theatre theory etc.  While I am particularily interested in hearing
about the Toronto/Hamilton/Southern-Ontario and Ottawa-Hull areas, I would
also like to hear about any bookstore that I "just have to visit" if I'm
ever in your neck of the woods, if you live in another area.  Where do you
find your treasures?

4) Is there such a thing as a specifically Canadian theatre theory?  I am
not asking whether there is a specifically Canadian style of performing or
playwrighting (for the record, I think there is), but whether in "theoritical"
writings one can detect a Canadian approach to thinking/writing/theorizing
*about* the theatre.

Well, that's about it for now.
Looking forward to your replies,
Winston

Winston D. Neutel
Undergraduate, Theatre Arts, Redeemer College
winston%erewhon at uunet.ca
(address valid until July 1994)