Oleanna

Madeleine, loc.6134 MLEFEBVRE at MTROYAL.AB.CA
Fri Nov 18 12:48:41 EST 1994

Oleanna was presented in Calgary recently by Alberta Theatre Projects.
Each Tuesday performance was followed by a panel discussion organized
ny the Harrassment Advisor at the University of Calgary.  One matinee
performance was followed by a panel discussion by members of Mount
Royal College, which I chaired.  I was impressed at the thoughtful
comments and questions the audience of mainly high school students put
forward.  My own view is that Oleanna shows Mamet at his marketing
best, in that he has written a small cast, simple set play which is
controversial and provocative, and therefore an audience-getter.  For
every person who brings up the issues of the play, there is some free
promotion - this play more than any other I can think of sells itself
by word of mouth.  While I enjoyed the play and subsequent discussions
very much, I think Mamet wrote it for commercial reasons, and is
cynically laughing all the way to the Bank.

With reference to the listserv, I would find it useful to have theatre
books and plays reviewed and recommended, as I buy all the theatre
material for our library.  It is also a good forum for finding out
what's on if one is travelling somewhere.  Incidentally, I'm
still waiting to hear more about Clare Coulter's Fever, which was
posted some time ago.

Madeleine Lefebvre
Mount Royal College