PLEASE READ ME

Aaron Kahn akahn at MARLBORO.EDU
Sun Oct 8 16:04:07 EDT 1995

Greetings and Salutations,

        My name is Aaron Kahn.  I am a student at Marlboro College in
Marlboro, Vermont, U.S.A.  If you can access the World Wide Web, I
encourage you to learn more about this unique little school in Southern
Vermont by accessing our home page at: http://marlboro.edu/
{Please be sure to note the sections on the World Studies Program and the
Plan of Concentration}

        I am a native Chicagoan who grew up in Minneapolis/St.Paul and
spent sporadic years on the West coast, now residing on the East.

        I have been involved in theatre in America for 10 years this
April.  Theatre is what we all  have in common with each other.  I found
your addresses on the World Wide Web's theatre resources.  Needless to
say, theatre is a central component of my course of study.

        I have been studying theatre from a more performance oriented
angle for years at the [now defunct] Minnesota Conservatory Of
Performing Arts (MCOPA), Idyllwild Arts Academy (formerly
the Idyllwild School Of Music And The Arts [ISOMATA]) in Idyllwild,
California, and also at the Chicago Academy for the Arts.

        Prior to enrolling at Marlboro, I studied at an acting
conservatory in Los Angeles, but found it too limiting.  Seeking more
from my undergraduate education, I spent last semester in Tel Aviv,
Israel while transfering to Marlboro.

        Following a tutorial entitled 'Drama and Theatre of Asia and the
Pacifics' I had a better idea of where I wanted to go with this
pursuit.  I wanted to study the theatre and performance of other
cultures.  "To gain an understanding of the self, via a detour in
attempting to understand the other"

        I am in a program at Marlboro called the World Studies Program (WSP),
approaching the time for my internship abroad.  I write to you all, in
need of some assistance.

        I AM SEEKING CORRESPONDENCE WITH PEOPLE WHO MAY BE ABLE TO HELP
ME IN FINDING AN INTERNSHIP IN A NON-WESTERN CULTURE'S THEATRE AND/OR
PERFORMANCE COMMUNITY.  I AM READY TO FORWARD RESUMES, LETTERS OF INTENT,
ETC. TO ANY INTERESTED/CURIOUS PARTIES.  I HOPE TO CONDUCT FIELDWORK
WITHIN THE POPULATION REGARDING THE EVOLUTION OF THE PERFORMANCE
INSTINCT.  THIS WORK WILL SYNTHESIZE ELEMENTS FROM WORLD
STUDIES, ANTHROPOLOGY, HISTORY AND  RELIGION THROUGH THE LENS OF THE
THEATRE.  I AM PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN DEMOGRAPHIC AREAS LESS AFFECTED
BY ARISTOTLE.

        I understand this is a shot in the virtual dark of the internet,
but I am optimistic that someone will respond.  (At least to say, "Sorry,
Good Luck!")

        I thank you sincerely for your time and consideration.

                                Aaron Kahn
                                akahn at akbar.marlboro.edu