Theory on parade

Frank Moher moherf at MALA.BC.CA
Thu Aug 22 11:53:20 EDT 1996

I certainly endorse Richard Plant's notion that "professionals" and
academics should question their theories of theatre in an ongoing way. (The
professionals probably have some, whether they know it or not.) But it seems
to me that a lot of theory -does- shape performance, especially in Canada,
where our drama is largely generated out of colleges and universities, or by
university-trained artists. The danger is, of course, that at its worst this
creates a hermetic sort of theatre, with an alienated audience -- or, as is
often the case these days, no audience at all.

Frank Moher