An Old Canadian Play

Guillermo Verdecchia 72102.447 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Aug 22 12:57:31 EDT 1996

> if people engaged in theatre --I include those involved in
>academic activity as well as those who create the actual theatre
>performances and those who are the audiences -- were to be more conscious
>of, explore, question, share their "theories" of performance, we would have a
theatre
>with even more resonance than now exists.

Amen.

I did not mean to imply in my earler comments that no critical work was being
done, or not enough of it. The problem I  refer to is twofold. Part one is
addressed in Richard's comments above.  Part two is a problem (or situation)
within the professional theatre community. There is very little dialogue,
debate, on stage. Productions, theatre artists, rarely seem to respond to other
productions or the work of other artists.  There seems to be little desire to go
back to what has been done (once or twice) and re-investigate (like Marsh Hay or
Hinton's Hosanna at the Playhouse six or so years ago), re-invent. Personally,
I'd be interested in a 1997 look at  Something Red and Jennie's Story.

GLV