smoking $$$$

GLEN NICHOLS Nicholsg at UMONCTON.CA
Wed Dec 4 12:30:29 EST 1996

I was listening to CBC last night and the multiplying concerns of
arts organizations in face of the threatened loss of sponsorship if
the new anti-smoking legislation is passed. (The companies seem to
want to use this threat as a pressure tactic since the new regs. don't
prevent their sponsorship, just their advertising that accompanies
it).
This would appear to have a potential effect on theatre. Should ACTR
have a position in the debate? Should the organization marshal
support for lobbying (one way or the other)? Perhaps at least we
should be discussing this issue (?).

(Before anyone flames me... I realize CANDRAMA is not ACTR, but there
is some overlap, and I DO think there is correlevance between the
two, despite what I was told in no-uncertain terms last time I peaked
my head out of the sand!)
Cheers
Glen