Theatre/Spectacle

Eric Grace esg at ISLANDNET.COM
Tue Feb 6 09:57:23 EST 1996

>>Eric Grace refers to the "difference between spectacle and what I think
>>of as theatre."  What is that difference?  I've been thinking a lot about
>>"spectacle" lately, and would be interested in how its difference from
>>theatre is theorized.
>>Susan Heald

I can't say I've thought thru any theory, just my gut reaction to the two
experiences.
One difference seems to be that spectacle is more passive. It is larger
than life,
beyond our personal experience, so we're not drawn in personally and
emotionally.
Not to say it can't be enjoyable, of course, just different.

But that probably doesn't hold up if you think of the emotional power of, say,
rock concerts or revival meetings, or the Neurenburg Rally - a great piece of
"theatre."

It would be interesting to hear others'  ideas on this power of theatre to
transform.
As I understand it (I'm no academic or theatre expert) the roots of western
theatre are entwined with those of religion, and one can certainly see the
similarities, especially in the Catholic costume drama! I have been drawn to
theatre because I find that, when it works, it is a powerful way of
communicating
human experience. It may be less effective in today's society than before
because
our culture is so heterogenous that we have fewer shared references.

Eric Grace