Multimedia For Judith

Gary Chambers gchambers at UPANET.ULETH.CA
Mon Jun 24 21:24:08 EDT 1996

Re: Multimedia For Judith

Judith van Wessel Wrote:

>...I think I missed your question about multimedia
>in theatre. I'm also interested in this subject.
>I'm studying theatrescience in Amsterdam and
>for my last year I want to write a paper on this
>subject. I understood that you got some information.
>I would appriciate it if you could inform me about
>books, articles and so on. I would also like to hear
>what you are going to do with it.

>Thanks, greetings, Judith van Wessel
>Judith.van.Wessel at let.uva.nl
>Amsterdam
>The Netherlands

Hi Judith,

        At the end of this mailing is a collection of snips
from the responses I received on CANDRAMA.

        I hope you don't mind, but I am going to post this
to the whole CANDRAMA group, for two reasons.  One: I
never did explain what I wanted the information for.
Two: others may have further information for you.

        I worked for almost twenty years in journalism,
and spent seven of those years in England.  Upon
returning to Canada I found there is very little
work available here in journalism.  So I started
exploring other types of writing.  Recently I have
begun to concentrate on dramatic art, which has
always been another great interest of mine.

        I do the odd bit of acting, but writing is my
main interest.  I am scheduled to start a multimedia
course starting in the fall.  It is my hope that I can
find ways to incorporate that technology into the
scripts I write.

So I put a posting on CANDRAMA asking for information
about people who have been breaking new ground in theatre,
through the use of multimedia technology.  I feel
learning all I can about their techniques, is a good
way to start my own creative journey.

In particular, I was interested in gathering some
information about a troupe called The Black Box, out
of Czechoslovakia.  I've heard wonderful things about
their work.

Below are some excerpts from the responses I received.
I hope you find these leads useful.

Gary Chambers

**************
**************
**************
**************
********************
*******************
*************
>As for other early  "multi-media", Erwin Piscator
>made tremendous use of film and projections. More
>recently, the Toronto company, VideoCabaret, did
>some excellent multi-media stuff in the 70's and
'80's.

---
Gary Chambers            e-mail: GCHAMBERS at upanet.uleth.ca
Public Access Internet