Apprenticeship Opportunities in Theatre Programmes

Raymond Louter oedipus at REDEEMER.ON.CA
Wed Mar 6 10:58:14 EST 1996

First of all I want to thank all of you who responded to my earlier query
about conservatory or conservatory-styled programmes across the country.
I am still gathering the information but it appears that the training
landscape has changed a good deal over the past, say, ten years or so. I
will be able to give my student some good council on this issue.

I have another question for the readers of this list that relates to the
interface between theatre programmes and professional theatres. I have
begun some discussions with a number of theatres local to our location
here in Ancaster (Hamilton area) about setting up apprenticeship
opportunties for some of our students. That front appears to be
developing nicely. My question has to do with the way a four or eight
month term with a theatre might be recognized by an institution. In other
words, what is a useful way of reflecting what amounts to
pre-professional experience on a university transcript? How do other
universities integrate activity like this with a regular theatre major?

Raymond Louter
Theatre Arts Department
Redeemer College
777 Hwy. 53 East
Ancaster, Ontario
L9K 1J4

Phone: (905) 648-2131
FAX    (905) 648-2134
e-mail oedipus at redeemer.on.ca
"The important thing is to pull yourself up by your own hair
to turn yourself inside out and see the whole world with fresh eyes"

Marat from "Marat/Sade" by Peter Weiss