cloud nine

Frederick Kern fkern at EPAS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Mar 19 12:25:36 EST 1996

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Joel Greenberg wrote:

> Have any of you had experience working on the caryl churchill play for
> public performance? I am considering it for our next season of plays and I
> would welcome any observations, suggestions, etc. If you haven't actually
> worked on the piece, have you seen student productions of it and, if so,
> were you convinced that they were at home with the subject material, the
> language, the style, the dialect, etc.
> Thanks for any feedback.
> Joel Greenberg,
> University of Waterloo

Hello Joel;

A few years ago, I played the soldier in a scene workshop class while at
UWO.  My experience centres itself around the soldier's line "No, I've
come for a fuck".  1st performance:  audience breaks out into hysterical
laughter.  2nd performance:  complete and utter silence (how about that
to throw off concentration after expecting at least SOME noise).  3rd
performance:  one chuckle and about 30 "ugghs".

I didn't even vary anything all that much.  Oh yes, and the role of the
little girl (?Cathy?) was played by a man.  Hope this helps in some odd,
obscure way.

Have fun!
-AFK.