Governor General's Literary Awards (fwd)

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Sun Oct 20 01:54:39 EDT 1996

Hi everyone,  here is a more comprehensive list including French language
drama.

Cheers, Kathy.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:05:53 -500
From: "Andrea C. Cole" <colea at QUCDN.QUEENSU.CA>
To: Multiple recipients of list CANLIT-L <CANLIT-L at INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA>
Subject: Governor General's Literary Awards

Since the 'flu has me sitting here unproductively, and since I was
typing out the list anyway for a friend, I thought I would send it
on.  Cheers! (and my apologies that the proper italicisation of
titles and accents did not translate to my e-mail programme :(  )

Finalists for the 1996 Governor General's Literary Awards (with thanks
to the Ottawa Citizen)

English Language

Fiction

Margaret Atwood, Toronto, Alias Grace
Elizabeth harvor, Montreal, Let Me Be the One
Janice Kulyk Keefer, Eden Mills, Ont., The Green Library
Cordelia Strube, Toronto, Teaching Pigs to Sing
Audrey Thomas, Galiano Island, B.C., Coming Down from Wa
Guy Vanderhaeghe, Saskatoon, The Englishman's Boy

Non-Fiction

Roy MacGregor, Ottawa, The Home Team-Fathers, Sons and Hockey
T.F. Rigelhof, Westmount, Que., A Blue Boy in a Black Dress
Lake Sagaris, Santiago, Chile, After the First Death:  A Journey
Through Chile, Time, Mind John Ralston Saul, Toronto, The Unconscious
Civilization Merilyn Simonds, Kingston, Ont., The Convict Lover: A
True Story

Drama

Wendy Lill, Dartmouth, N.S. The Glace Bay Miners' Museum
John Mighton, Toronto, The Little Years
Michael O'Brien, Toronto, Mad Boy Chronicle
Betty Quan, Toronto, Mother Tongue
Colleen Wagner, Toronot, The Monument

Poetry

E.D. Blodgett, Edmonton, Apostrophes: Woman at a Piano
Elizabeth Brewster, Saskatoon, Footnotes to the Book of Job
Crispin Elstend Mission, B.C., Climate and the Affections
Charles Lillard, Victoria B.C. Shadow Weather
Erin Moure, Montreal, Search Procedures

Children's Literature-Text

Jan Andrews, Keri
David Boyd, Oakville, Ont., Bottom Drawer
Gillian Chan, Dundas Ont, Glory Days and Other Stories
Don Gillmor, Toronto, The Fabulous Song
Paul Yee, Toronto, Ghost Train

Children's Literature-Illustration

Eric Beddows, Stratford, Ont., The Rooster' Gift, text by Pam Conrad
Alan and Lea Danile, Kitchener, Ont., Sody Salleratus, text by Aubrey
Davis Wang Kui, Calgary, The Wise Washerman-A Folktale from Burma,
text by Deborah Froese Johnny Wales, Tokyo, Japan, Gruntle Piggle
Takes Off, text by Jean Little Werner Zimmerman, Guelph, Ont.,
Whatever You Do, Don't Go Near That Canoe!, text by Julie Lawson

Translation (from French to English)

Sheila Fischman, Montreal, Ostend, by Francois Gravel
Linda Gaboriau, Montreal, Stone and Ashes, by Daniel Danis
D.G. Jones, North Hatley, Que., For Orchestra and Solo Poet, by Emile
Martel Shelley Tepperman, Montreal, In Vitro, by Yvan Bienvenue

French Language

Fiction

Marie-Claire Blais, Montreal, Soifs
Nancy Huston, Paris, Instruments des tenebres
Roger Magini Outremont Que., Un Homme defait
Jocelyne Saucier, Clericy, Que., La Vie comme une image
Lise Vaillancourt, Outremont, Que., L'Ete des eiders

Non-Fiction

Gerard Bouchard, Chicoutimi, Que., Quelques arpents
d'Amerique-Population, economie, famille au Saguenay 1838-1971 Michel
Freitag, Outremont, Que., Le Naufrage de l'universite-Et autres essais
d'epistemologie politique Gilles Lapointe, Montreal, L'Envol des
signes-Borduas et ses lettres Benoit Melancon, Montreal, Diderot
epistolier-Contribution a une poetique de la lettre familiere au
XVIIIe siecle Denis Vaugeois, Sillery, Que., La Fin des alliances
franco-indiennes-Enqute sur un sauf-conduit de 1760 devenu un traite
en 1990

Drama

Normand Chaurette, Montreal, Le Passage de l'Indiana
Suzanne Lebeau, St-lambert, Que., Salvador-La Montagne, L'Enfant de la
mangue Wajdi Mouawad, Montreal, Alphonse

Poetry

Jose Acquelin Montrea, L'Oiseau respirable
Jean Charlebois, Montreal, De moins en moins l'amour de plus en plus
Hermeneglide Chiasson, Robichaud, N.B., Climats Louise Cotnoir,
Weedon, Que., Dis-moi que j'imagine Serge Patrice Thibodeau, Montreal,
Le Quatuor de l'errance followed by La Traversee du desert

Children's Literature-Text

Sylvie Desrosiers, Abercorn, Que., Le Long Silence
Jacinthe Gaulin, Quebec City, Mon p'tit frere
Daniel Sernine, Montreal, L'Arc-en-ciel
Gilles Tibo, Montreal, Noemie-Le Secret de Madame Lumbago
Helene Vachon, quebec City, Le Plus proche voisin

Children's Literature-Illustration

No works deemed worthy of nomination

Translation (from English to French)

Pierre DesRuisseaux, Pointe-Calumet, Que., Contre-taille-Poemes
choisis de vingt-cinq auteurs canadiens-anglais Helene Lebeau,
Montreal, Les Dangers de la pensee critique, by Stephen Schecter
Christian Teasdale, Outremont, Que., Systemes de survie-Dialogue sur
les fondements moraux du commerce et de la politique , by Jane Jacobs
"Say not the struggle naught availeth"

Andrea C. Cole
Department of English
Queen's University