New television series

Helen Peters hpeters at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sat Sep 28 13:44:50 EDT 1996

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know that Newfoundland's new
half-hour weekly series will start national broadcast on CBC on Wednesday
night, October 2nd. It is called "Gullages" and it will play between the
Rita MacNeil Show and This Hour Has 22 Minutes.
        The series is a sitcome based in downtown St. John's and I
suspect that people will either love it or hate it. It is definitely a
Newfoundland show. Actor playwrights whose names you may recognise who
are involved in the series as either main characters or in guest spots
includee Bryan Hennessey, Janis Spence, Liz Pickard, Ray Guy, Frank
Barry, Phil Dinn, Mercedes Barry, Rick Boland, Berni Stapleton.
        The series is based on the life of a St. John's cabby and it was
filmed last winter. In November another 7 episodes will begin to be made.
I can tell you, having been to the local screening last Monday night,
that the arts community here is very pleased with the work and I think
that they should be. Now it is a question of whether the Newfoundland
view of the world is in sync or out of sync with you view up-along.
        I hope that you can find time to watch and that you will enjoy. Helen