air fares for the ACTR/ARTC conference in St John's

Richard Plant rplant at UTORONTO.CA
Sat Mar 22 11:44:33 EST 1997

Subscribers to Candrama:

As President of ACTR/ARTC, I have been receiving queries and information
which indicate potential problems in getting reasonable fares for
attending to Leanreds Societies conference in St John's, Nfld this year. I
discovered myself that until i asked the travel agent to find a "Cabot"
flight rate, I was not being quoted a price anywhere near the $306.00 I
now have from Toronto to St John's and back (and I have not been told I
need to travel by train or bus or swim part of the way for that price). I
have also just heard from a colleague that his flight from New Brunswick
has been quoted at about $600.00. While he doesn't have to train, bus or
swim either, he must be paying a good part of the captain's bar bill at
that rate.

In short, book your flight as soon as you can, amd make certain you ask
for the discount fare, which I referred to as the "Cabot" rate. If you are
having problems, contact the Learneds office at Memorial University and
explain that. The Learneds has made an arrangement with the air lines.
While the Learneds may not be able to do anything, the chance of that
office is probably much greater than nay individual trying to argue with
Air Canada or Canadian.

Richard Plant
Pres ACTR/ARTC