Ensembles' Use of Space

Susan Rotkovitz srotko1 at TIGER.TOWSON.EDU
Tue May 6 22:15:36 EDT 1997

Hello, All!

I'm an MFA in Theatre candidate at Towson State University in Maryland,
and am investigating how theatre ensembles use space for their rehearsals,
performances, and administrative activities.  My team and I will be
presenting a report in a seminar on Tuesday.  I din't want to limit my
findings to US ensembles, and was hoping that I could gather some
information from colleagues and unseen friends north of the border.  My
problem is, I don't know particular ensemble companies in Canada, and
would like to expand my knowledge.  I would also like to see if we share
the same needs, expectations, challenges, etc. Therefore, if anyone out
there in Etherland has info to share, and time to share it, I would be
most appreciative.  Thanks, in advance!

The Questions:

1.  Who are you, and for which ensemble group do you speak?
2.  Where is your group located?
3.  How long have you been associated with this ensemble?
4.  How long has the ensemble been together?
5.  How long was it before you found your working space?
6.  How often do you use it?
7.  Do you have separate rehearsal and performance spaces?  If so, how are
    they defined?  Are they in the same neighborhood?
8.  Is your space owned, rented, or donated?
9.  Are you satisfied with the space(s)?  Have you renovated the space/Do
    you plan to?  To include or change what?
10. What considerations did you think about when looking for space?
    Needs?  Requirements?  Have they been addressed, or have you made
    adjustments?  How?
11. What size audience can you accommodate?  Do they travel to see you, or
    are they from the neighborhood?
12. How and where do you do your administrative work?  Your design work?
    Your construction?

Once again, I thank you for whatever info you have time to send!

Best wishes, and looking forward to hearing from you, I am

                        Susan J. Rotkovitz
       8107 Milford Garden Drive      TSU Theatre Department
       Baltimore, MD 21244            Towson, MD 21204
       (410) 655-0580                 (410)830-3658
                    srotko1 at tiger.towson.edu