Carleton (fwd)

Moira Day moiraday at DUKE.USASK.CA
Fri Nov 28 12:57:50 EST 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 09:15:38 -0600 (CST)
From: Norman Gee <Norman.Gee at ualberta.ca>
To: moiraday at duke.usask.ca, HEADJ at CENSSW.GOV.AB.CA
Subject: Carleton

A brief delay anyways.

CARLETON PUTS CUTS ON HOLD,
REVIEWS BUDGET

        UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT APOLOGIZES FOR ACCOUNTING `SCREW-UP'

                                 By TARA TOSH -- Ottawa Sun
  A meeting intended to slash jobs and bolster Carleton University's
finances has been delayed in the face of
number-crunching errors.
 "I've cancelled the meeting and apologized for the screw-up and we'll
carry on," university president Richard Van
Loon said yesterday.
 Today's meeting was to be held behind closed doors after program faculty
made their final pleas to be spared from
$5.8-million in cuts in Carleton's 1998-99 budget.
 The union representing university faculty, CUASA, told Van Loon yesterday
the figures on which the cuts were
based were off by about $500,000.
 "For example, the small language departments, which only had 15 faculty
members -- they had the salaries of 20
people," said CUASA spokesman Mark Langer. "That includes people who are no
longer at Carleton and people who
are in different programs in the university."
 Pushing back the date because of inaccurate information underscores the
need for broader consultation within the
university, Langer said of Van Loon's decision to spend at least one week
verifying information.
 The axe was to fall among staff of as many as 11 programs.
 CUASA has accused Van Loon of bypassing some faculties to close programs
without in-depth review.

Norman Gee, Ph.D, P.Chem
Faculty Service Officer
Laboratory Coordinator of General Chemistry
Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta  CANADA  T6G 2G2
403.492.3438 FAX:403.492.8231 Norman.Gee at ualberta.ca
http://www.chem.ualberta.ca/~ngee/Chem10XLabs.html
http://www.acpo.on.ca/acpa/index.htm