Educational Development Journals - Re-post (fwd)

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Sat Oct 4 21:55:04 EDT 1997

Posted to Teachcom by Liz Avison, UTL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Subj:   POD: Lists of Educational Development Journals

Please excuse cross posting

Dear all

In DeLiberations we are now providing a list of the large number of
journals concerned with the teaching of specific disciplines ( and
interdisiplinary areas ) in higher education.  We have also developed a
list of generic educational development journals.  Both lists exploit the
web by having links, where available, to the journal's site or a site with
some detailed information on the journal.

The lists can be found at:

http://www.lgu.ac.uk/deliberations/

Firstly, the discipline based list:

We hope that this list will be particularly valuable to discipline based
academics looking for ideas to improve their teaching and in identifying
places to publish teaching and learning related research.  This list should
also help educational developers and librarians in working with discipline
based staff.  It is based on a range of sources ; including  a
listing by the Center for Faculty Evaluation and Development at Kansas
State University ; the journals that are abstracted in Research into
Higher Education Abstracts; and the list compiled by Maryellen Weimer in
her article "The Disciplinary Journals of Pedagogy" , Change , November /
December , 1993 , 44- 51.  Alan Jenkins presented an argument for this
approach to educational development in "Discipline-Based Educational
Development" in The International Journal of Academic Development, May ,
1996 , 1 (1) , 50-62 .

Secondly, there is a list of educational development journals:

Here there is a list which will interest educational
developers who wish to access journals dealing
with teaching and learning in a higher education context.  You will find
links to table of contents pages, editorial guidelines,
where to ask for inspection copies etc.  We recognise
that this list is primarily UK based and we would particularly value
colleagues from outside the UK sending us their suggestions as to
any journals we should add.

Finally, and this applies to both lists, should you come across other
journals which you think need to be included please let us know at
figit at lgu.ac.uk

Regards

Professor Alan Jenkins (Oxford Brookes University)
Graham Alsop (London Guildhall University)

=============
Graham Alsop
DeLiberations
A Web Site for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
London Guildhall University
Educational and Staff Development
Calcutta House, Old Castle Street, London  E1 7NT, UK
Tel:  0171 320 1104, Fax:  0171 320 1096

________
Posted to the POD Network mail list by Graham Alsop <alsop at lgu.ac.uk>.
________