Foot Festival Call for Papers

Frederick Kern fkern at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Oct 21 09:41:59 EDT 1997

FESTIVAL OF ORIGINAL THEATRE - SUBMISSION CALL

CALL FOR PAPERS

1998  Festival of Original Theatre and Film
Graduate Centre for Study of Drama, University of Toronto

Metaphor and Metonymy:
Issues of Representation in the Language of Theatre and Film
January 22-25, 1998

Started in 1993, the Festival of Original Theatre and Film (F.O.O.T.) is a
student administered performance conference and arts festival sponsored by
the Graduate Centre for Study of Drama.  Our goal is to bring together
academia and the arts in cross-disciplinary exploration and discussion.
The structure of the festival combines academic conference papers, panel
discussions, readings of plays-in-progress and original performances of
theatre and film.

This year's festival will explore the implications of the choices made by
artists when they represent a subject either through substitution (i.e.
metaphor) or selection of an aspect of the whole (i.e. metonymy).   Guests
will also be invited to participate in panel discussions with professionals
from the theatre and film communities.

Areas to which we anticipate our theme will be most relevant include
semiotics, feminist theory, queer theory and literary analysis.  We welcome
any other approach people wish to take.

Your proposal should be in the form of a 500 word abstract outlining the
main points of your paper and demonstrating its relevance to the festival
theme.  Papers should be 10 to 12 pages in length for a reading time of no
more than 20 minutes.

DEADLINES FOR PROPOSALS:                20 November, 1997

Peter Cockett and Peter Eliot Weiss
Artistic Directors
Festival of Original Theatre and Film
Graduate Centre for Study of Drama