Children's Theater -- Lady Cat's Cat~A~Strophe!

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sat Apr 25 04:37:01 EDT 1998

Dear Colleagues:

May I invite you (and your children) to enjoy Samuil Marshak's
delightful poetic play Koshkin Dom in an English adaptation. This
classic play for children tells the story of the aristocratic,
snobbish Lady Cat and the lessons she learns about love and human
fellowship when her palace burns down, leaving her destitute and
alone. It is a great morality play, very much in the Russian
tradition. It is available in its entirety on my web site. The address
is:

http://personal.msy.bellsouth.net/msy/s/h/sher07/

Please remember to RELOAD the home page in order to access the play.

There is one important difference between Marshak's original and my
adaptation: Marshak's play is meant for kids around 5-8, while my
version is a bit more ambitious and is meant for kids around 5-12.
While no doubt some children will find the vocabulary a challenge,
even the very young should, hopefully, be won over by the play as a
stage performance, which includes, of course, not only words but the
full range of theatrical effects available to the producer/director in
charge of the production, including dance, costumes, music, etc., all
part of an overall theatrical experience.

Lady Cat's Cat~A~Strophe could therefore be considered not only a form
of entertainment but also a form of LINGUISTIC and MORAL INSTRUCTION
through ENTERTAINMENT. Seen in this light, I believe that a stage
production of Marshak's morality play about Lady Cat would appeal to
children (and adults) of all ages.

I hereby waive all copyright royalties for non-commerical or
not-for-profit performances of this March 8, 1993 version of Lady
Cat's Cat~A~Strophe AS IS by Benjamin Sher, provided only that full
credit is given and that I am informed of any such performance in
advance.

In addition, a later, second version of Lady Cat's Cat~A~Strophe,
dated July 30, 1993, copyrighted in the name of Benjamin Sher,
translator, and Natasha Ramer, director, is also hereby offered to the
public on a professional, private, off-line basis. While the text is
more or less the same, this second version will be a musical: its
directorial interpretation, characterization and setting are entirely
different from the version above. These two versions of Lady Cat's
Cat~A~Strophe may therefore be considered as two independent plays. We
have not yet decided whether the musical, when ready, will be offered
free for non-commerical or not-for-profit productions. If you are
interested, please feel free to contact me off-line after reading the
play.

Would appreciate any comments you might have about the play.

Enjoy!

Yours,

Benjamin

Benjamin Sher