Call for Papers: Pulp/Dime Novels and Popular Culture (fwd)

Richard Plant rplant at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Fri Aug 21 10:21:15 EDT 1998

Hello all:
Michael sent this to me, so in case there is someone who might want to
take part in the conference, I send this on.

Richard Plant
Dept of Drama, Queen's University
and
Graduate Centre for Study of Drama,
University of Toronto

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:29:37 -0400
From: "Michael J. Carley" <mjcarley at aspp.hssfc.ca>
To: publiforum at magma.ca
Subject: Call for Papers: Pulp/Dime Novels and Popular Culture

CALL FOR PAPERS
===============

The Popular Culture Association and American Culture Association
will hold their annual meeting at the San Diego Marriot Hotel and
Marina on March 31-April 3, 1999.  (Easter is April 4, 1999).

Deadline: September 15, 1998

The PCA section on DIME NOVELS, PULPS, AND SERIES BOOKS is requesting
paper proposals for presentations of 15-20 minutes. Papers may cover
any aspect of these subjects, including (but not limited to) themes,
authors, major characters, audience, publishing history, bibliography
and resarch methods, authorship, special collections, and matters of
gender, image, or attitude.

Although this is primarily an academic conference, all people with an
interest in these subjects are invited to participate; you need not be
a professional writer or scholar.

Potential participants are reminded that membership in either the PCA
or ACA is required as well as registration for the conference.

All participants are requested to send a 250-word abstract which will
be  posted on the section's website

        (http://www.oldkidsbooks.com/pca.html)

and may be included in other promotional materials. We understand and
recognize that a research topic can evolve slightly.

First-time participants should sent a 1-2 page proposal (including a
sample bibliography of proposed reference sources) with a 250-word
abstract.

The deadline for submitting proposals and abstracts is September 15,
1998. Please include an e-mail address if you have one. Also, include
any AV requests (slide projectors or VCR) with your abstract.

Send all materials to:

        James D. Keeline
        c/o The Prince and the Pauper
        3201 Adams Ave
        San Diego, CA 92116
        (619)283-4380

        or via e-mail to keeline at adnc.com

Michael J. Carley
Director - Directeur
Aid to Scholarly Publications Programme - Programme d'aide à l'édition savante
151 Slater, #410
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 5H3
(613) 234-1269 x353 - FAX 236-4853