Invitation & Call for Papers (fwd)

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Dec 15 22:19:28 EST 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:27:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Canadian Studies <canstud at u.washington.edu>
Cc: "A. Chan" <chanant at u.washington.edu>
Subject: Invitation & Call for Papers

Please fwd to interested parties:

                              VISITING SCHOLARS PROGRAM

Canadian Studies Center, Jackson School of International Studies,
University of Washington

   Academics, artists, diplomats, entrepreneurs, film makers, journalists,
politicians, and writers with relevant Canadian expertise interested in
researching and/or teaching Canadian Studies are invited to apply for one
or more academic quarters.

   Successful applicants will receive a small honorarium for the course
taught, an office during the teaching period, e-mail, access to the
extensive Canadian Studies holdings in the University Libraries,
assistance with accommodation through faculty housing, visitor's status in
the United States and affiliation with the Canadian Studies Center.
Individuals with self-sufficient means, fellowships, or paid sabbatical
leaves are encouraged to apply.

   The Canadian Studies Center's quarterly monograph, New Scholars-New
Visions in Canadian Studies, is especially interested in publishing the
research results of Visiting Scholars.

   The University of Washington has a student population of 35,000 on a
beautiful 700-acre campus in an area noted for its year-round mild climate
and striking scenery. Seattle is within a three-hour drive of Vancouver,
British Columbia, to the north and Portland, Oregon, to the south.

   To apply, send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae or resume, and
three letters of reference to:

Dr. Anthony B. Chan
Director, Canadian Studies Center
Box 353650
University of Washingon
Seattle, WA  98195   USA

For more information, e-mail:
 chanant at u.washington.edu
or: canstud at u.washington.edu
Tel:  206/543-6269
Fax:  206/616-8171

                             CALL FOR PAPERS

 _New Scholars-New Visions_ is a new monograph series published quarterly
 by the Canadian Studies Center at the University of Washington. It is
supported by grants from the U.S. Department of Education and the
Canadian Embassy.

As the title implies, we highlight fresh ways of looking at virtually any
topic pertaining to Canadian Studies. We like to present the newer
scholars as well as established scholars who may want to write something a
bit experimental. So far, our themes have included art, literature,
multiculturalism, social policy, and sports. The monograph is refereed.

You can get some idea of what we publish by looking at our website,
<http://weber.u.washington.edu/~canada/monograph1.html>.

 Monograph papers are typically about 50 pp. typed and double-spaced.
However, shorter issues papers may be used in a "Forum" section. In
addition, you may contact our Reviews Editor, Jeanette Lynes
(jlynes at juliet.stfx.ca), if you are interested in writing a media review
(book, film, etc.).

 You may query our editor, Dr. Anthony B. Chan, Director of Canadian
Studies (chanant at u.washington.edu), if uncertain whether your piece is
suitable. Otherwise, you are welcome to submit two copies of your piece
and a PC diskette in Word format, APA style, to:

  Canadian Studies Center
  Jackson School of International Studies
  Box 353650
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA 98195-3650

     We look forward to hearing from you.

 Patricia Radin, Assistant Director, Canadian Studies Center