Krasnogorov's The Dog -- Where and When

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sun Feb 1 22:05:21 EST 1998

Dear Colleagues:

[This is the second and final announcement concerning the American
premiere of The Dog. The particulars concerning the performance,
schedules, etc. have been unavailable to me until late Sunday night].

May I invite those of you who will be in New York City next week to
attend the American premiere of THE DOG, a contemporary Russian
tragedy by Valentin Krasnogorov (a.k.a. Valentin Fainberg) at the
Nada Theater on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

DIRECTOR: Howard Fishman.

PERFORMANCE DATES: This week on Mon, Feb. 2 (premiere), Tue 3, Wed 4.
Next week on Mon 9, Tue 10, Wed 11.

WHERE: Nada Theater at 167 Ludlow St. on the Lower East Side of
Manhattan.

TIME: 8 P.M.

ADMISSION PRICE: $12 per ticket.

For reservations, please call Nada (also known as Todoconnada) at:

1-212-420-1466

You'll find full instructions on how to get to the Nada Theater in
the "Where" section (left panel) of their web site at:

http://www.todoconnada.com/index.html

You'll also find full particulars about the play under "Shows".

THE DOG, in two acts, has been widely performed throughout Russia
and the former Soviet Union for the past ten years.

The play consists of only three characters: A Man, A Woman, and A Dog
(played by a little girl or a woman). The play is set at a Russian
Animal Clinic.

FROM THE PLAYWRIGHT ON THE OCCASION OF THE AMERICAN PREMIERE:

"The Dog has been seen by many Russian theater-goers through the
years, and it has never failed to elicit both laughter and tears,
compassion and empathy.

"Now, through the unselfish efforts of The Nada Theater of New York
City, The Dog will appear for the very first time on the American
stage.

"Although our countries are separated by thousands of miles, I do not
believe that people on different continents think and feel
differently.

"Love is everywhere the same. So is betrayal. False ways never lead
to happiness.

"I would like to believe that in America, as in Russia, The Dog will
lead many spectators to seriously reflect on how and why we live.

"The guiding principle for the heroine of this play is not success
but love. And if the American theater-goer comes to love her, I would
consider the performance a great success."

Respectfully yours,

Valentin Krasnogorov.
Haifa, Israel.
January 24, 1998

For the record, Krasnogorov's The Dog is being produced by The Nada
Theater on a strictly non-commercial or not-for-profit basis. This
was the precondition for waiving all royalties, both on my part as
translator and on the part of the playwright.

Yours,

Benjamin

Benjamin Sher
Russian Literary Translator