Networking List

Carrie Loffree carrie at DSUPER.NET
Wed Jan 28 22:20:29 EST 1998

HELLO, CANDRAMA!

_THE COMPILATION OF A NETWORKING LIST_

On behalf of the Professional Concerns Committee of the ACTR (Association
for Canadian Theatre Research), I (and well over 100 helpers so far!) have
been putting together a networking list including the names and e-mails of
the chairs of *all* departments in *all* Canadian colleges and universities
having courses (grad and undergrad) in theatre or drama.

_WHAT'S IT FOR?_

This list will prove to be an extremely valuable tool for maintaining and
expanding the network of people involved in the teaching of drama and
theatre in this country. It will undoubtedly help all of you indirectly and
a great many of you directly once it is in place.  For example, the list
could be used to transmit information on research funding, books on
Canadian theatre printed by interesting small publishers, etc.  It could be
used to create a forum of department chairs.  It could facilitate the
ACTR's membership drives.  And so on...

_WHERE ARE WE AT AND WHERE ARE WE GOING?_

The list currently includes over 250 programs (over 160 of which have
complete entries, including the name and e-mail address of the chair).
However, in spite of the fact that the list is already very lengthy, it is
still quite far from being complete.

My goal is to complete this list in time for the ACTR conference in Ottawa
this spring (May 27-30).

_LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS_

As you might have guessed, I'm looking for volunteers willing to complete
the list for their institution or any other institution they are familiar
with.  It wouldn't take more than an hour or so you to pool your  e-mail
address book with info obtained by calling a few departments to get the
name and e-mail of chairs you don't already know.

If you're not able to help, perhaps you know someone who might be
interested in getting involved - a student or a collegue, perhaps.  Please
feel free to forward this message.

_HOW CAN I HELP?_

The list is notably lacking contacts in (both anglo- and francophone)
Quebec and at almost all colleges and cegeps in all provinces.  The
following universities still need a lot of work, too:

Acadia
Bishop's
Cape Breton
Carleton
Concordia
Dalhousie
Lakehead
McGill
McMaster
Moncton
Montreal
Mt S. Vincent
Red Deer
Sainte-Anne
Sherbrooke
Simon Fraser
St Francis Xavier
St Thomas
Trent
UQAC
UQAM
UQAR
UQT-R
Vic
Waterloo

If you would like to help fill in the blanks, please contact me directly
(carrie at dsuper.net).

Thank you very much for your interest in this project.  I hope to hear from
some of you soon.

- Carrie Loffree
Professional Concerns Committee, ACTR