Networking List

Richard Plant rplant at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Fri Jan 30 09:00:54 EST 1998

Hello again Carrie, and everyone else:

I can't let Carrie's message pass without noting in light of comments from
 the president of Humber College the long-standing gap between
universities and colleges. Robert Gordon of Humber recently charged that
colleges continue to be treated as second class citizens by universities.
This gap seems also reflected in the structure and activities in theatre
study, although I hope that colleges are not treated as second class
citizens in our discipline. While there is much to be gained in closer
relationships between college and university programmes generally, under
the current and on-going pressures faced by the arts and education, there
is an even more pressing need for close relationships. I would urge that
we make a special effort to bridge between the two areas.

Richard Plant
Dept of Drama, Queen's University
and
Graduate Centre for Study of Drama,