Desperately seeking volunteers for the YORK CYCLE

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Mon Jun 8 02:20:15 EDT 1998

TO: Candrama-ites in the Toronto area or CanDrama-ites planning on
attending the performance of the YORK CYCLE at Victoria College,
University of Toronto, Sat 20 June

[please post this to other relevant lists or interested individuals]

Hello All!!

THE YORK CYCLE NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!

Are you interested in medieval drama?  Do you want to participate in a
rare performance of a complete medieval cycle of English vernacular
religious drama?  (The York Cycle dates from ca.  1375, contains 47 plays
from "The Fall of the Angels" to "The Last Judgement," will be performed
on wooden wagons at three to four stations around Victoria College,
University of Toronto.  Production groups from U of T, across Canada, the
USA, and even as far as Birmingham U. (England)  will be performing.
There is also an academic conference surrounding the performances.)

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

I'm recruiting volunteers to help out with the YORK CYCLE on the day of
the performance: Sat 20 June.  It's an enormous project and we need a
large number of volunteers so please consider giving us a hand.  The Dept
of English itself is producing a segment of the CYCLE: Herod and the
Visit (?) of the Magi.

You are encouraged to volunteer; bring along your friends, families,
chance acquaintances, etc, -- working as a group will make it more fun.

Volunteers are needed for TWO-HOUR time slots in the following areas at
all hours of the day (performances go from dawn to dusk).  Come help out,
then stay around and see the free performances:

  (a) set up - helping performance groups put their sets up on the
               wagons and helping groups strike their set off the wagons
             - I'd like 4 people per time slot (bring your friends!)

             - I especially need experienced techincal people for the
              early morning slots to ensure things get off on a smooth
              start (i.e. 5:30 - 8:00am, 8:00am - 11am; these are
              special 3-hr slots to kick start the day)

  (b) wardrobe - helping distribute and reclaim cosutmes to and from
                 performance groups
               - I need 2 people per time slot

  (c) traffic attendants -- there will be two to three street closings and
               we'll need people to watch the roads & re-direct traffic
               - I'm looking for groups of 2 people per location

  (d) station tech assistants -- to help each group set up and strike
              their wagon at each of three (maybe four) performance
              stations
              -- I need 2 people per station; you get to see the
                 performance

  (e) "beggars" -- you will be given a minimal costume and you will roam
             through the audience at each performance station passing the
             hat around for donations
             -- I'd love to have 4 beggars at each station; you get to see
             the performance and ham it up (as a begger) as much as you
             like

If you are interested in any or all of these positions or if you would
like further information, PLEASE, PLEASE give me a **phone call** at:
(416) 926-9692.  Please call instead of emailing since I don't get to my
email every minute of the day but my answering machine is always on!

THANK YOU!!  Hoping to hear from many of you! and even if you don't
volunteer, hope to see you in the audience!

--- Kathy.