Canadian Deaf Theatre Artists

Chris Dodd cdodd at GPU.SRV.UALBERTA.CA
Tue Mar 17 20:00:47 EST 1998

Hello  everyone,

I am hoping that some of you will be able to assist me in my search.

I am an honors student in theatre at the University of Alberta.  I will be
completing my thesis on contemporary trends within deaf theatre this April.
I'm seeking to contact individuals within Canada who are presently
involved with deaf theatre, whether as actors, directors, designers,
writers, or technical crew.

There are three established organizations which I would like to contact:

Theatre Visuel des Sourds de Quebec has been in existence in Montreal since
1968.  The group is composed of deaf french actors who use french
sign-language (Langue des Signes Quebecoise) and mime as the method of
communication with the audience.  The group has been incorporated since 1988
and is one of the longest running professional deaf theatres worldwide.
However, the last information I have on the group dates to 1996 and I do not
know if they are currently active.  I'm seeking to contact two deaf french
individuals,  Serge Briere, co-founder of the organization, and Johanne
Boulanger, vice president, who graduated with a BA degree in Theatre from
the Universite du Quebec a Montreal in 1990.

In Toronto, there is a company called A Show of Hands.  In 1988, the group
recieved a sizeable grant and toured across Canada.  When the money ran out,
the members of the group dispersed and the company went into a period of
inactivity. However, within the past few years, it has been active again in
Toronto on a smaller scale and is teaching workshops to high school
students.  Jim Mcdermott and Michele Pinet, are listed as assoicate director
and artistic director, respectively, in the information I have from 1988.

In Vancouver, there is a recent arrival called Fingers Happy Productions run
by Gordon P. Hoeppner.  He especializes in deaf theatre for public
school audiences.  Gordon recently moved the company from Toronto in
the first week of October.  I have previously been in contact with him but I
don't have his updated address in Vancouver yet and would like to contact
him.

As well, if you are aware of any artists, companies (amateur or
professional), or touring productions in your area, I would be grateful if
you could pass on the information.  Time is an essence, since the completed
thesis is due April 17th.

Thanks for your help!

-Chris Dodd