Fw: Encyclopedia and Debate

Alastair M. Wallis Jarvis ajarvis at IS2.DAL.CA
Mon Nov 2 23:07:56 EST 1998

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Karen Fleury wrote:

> What people tend to forget, in general, is the artistic form
> that stage management expresses themselves in best:  calling the show.  When
> this is done well, it goes unnoticed.  The timing of a show often hinges on
> the flow of cues in addition to the action on stage.  When the calling is
> done poorly, it is disastorous.  Everyone is aware of mistakes; not just the

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this one, but I'm feeling ornery and it'll be
nice to see this list heat up again...

I wonder how repeating the cues and recreating what the director and the
designers have set during the rehearsal process constitutes artistic
expression? Should the encyclopedia list all of the lighting board
operators who have ever hit a "cue" button? (Provided they didn't miss a
cue, of course)

Perhaps finely crafted prompt-books should be thought of as pieces of art.
That I can see. Maybe someone could start a museum and an encyclopedia
devoted to beautiful Canadian prompt-books.

But seriously, it seems to me that Gaetan is looking to include people
who have made significant contributions to the theatre in Canada. Ok, ok,
so you could make the case that anyone who has ever been involved with any
show has made a contribution to Canadian theatre... Why aren't all of the
actors who have ever performed along side those mentioned in the
encyclopedia also named? No one can deny that the artists who are listed
are deeply indebted to their colleagues onstage and off, but, to repeat

I am certain that there are SMs who work creatively in the realization of a
piece, some whose contributions have been exceptional and who will be
included, but I don't think that the kind of work Karen is talking about -
calling the show and maintaining its integrity throughout a run - is
where this creative activity takes place - no more so than in non-artisic
management positions.

I can hear Canada's SMs declaring open season right now.

I hope you prove me wrong. ;)

Cheers,
Alastair Jarvis