Fw: Encyclopedia and Debate

Alex Hawkins jhawkins at GPU.SRV.UALBERTA.CA
Tue Nov 3 14:58:42 EST 1998

Peter Freund wrote:
>I don't see why this debate revolves around deciding who is or is not an
>"artist."
>Doesn't your encyclopedia have a place for people who have made or are
>making significant contributions to theatre who would never describe
>themselves as artists. Managers and administrators might be one example -
>academics and theorists might be another.
>Peter Freund

My comment:  I agree with Peter Freund.  I've been reading the various
messages in this debate, and I can't understand why we don't simply use the
designation "theatre worker", and include anyone noteworthy from any
"category" of theatre worker.  After all, even though some would call
actors, directors, and designers "artists", and stage managers, directors'
assistants, and production staff "technicians", or "craftspeople", or
merely "significant workers", not every single actor, director, or designer
will be included in an encyclopedia.  Only those who have been identified
as noteworthy or significant, or even "famous", will be included, and many
(even most) will be left out.  So if a stage manager or assistant director
is identified as noteworthy for whatever reason, why shouldn't they be
included in such a list?
        Doesn't the Republic of Ireland make a distinction between what
they refer to as "creative" artists, versus what they call "interpretive"
artists, in reference to their tax laws?  I seem to remember that
"creative" artists (writers, painters, etc) are tax-exempt, while
"interpretive" artists (directors, actors, etc) are not.  And some time
ago, I believe there was discussion in that country as to whether the
"interpretive" artists should be included among the tax-exempt.  My point
is that all such distinctions are artificial, and can be made arbitrarily
by anyone, depending on their point of view and/or their agenda.
        I am in favour of the term "theatre worker", and suggest that
Gaetan include any noteworthy individual from any category of theatre
worker in his encyclopedia.  Of course, my opinion is offered merely as a
well-intentioned suggestion.  Denis Johnston is absolutely right when he
says that Gaetan, as the editor and primary organizer of this resource, has
the right to make any final determination as to what he will include, and
why.  I certainly appreciate and applaud his efforts to undertake this
large and onerous task.

Best wishes,
Alex Hawkins
Department of Drama