SMs

Bernard Lavoie k22401 at ER.UQAM.CA
Wed Nov 4 08:54:44 EST 1998

May be to start, we should look at the current stage managers.   I think
they are a living memory of the stage.  We must remember that most of
the SM work on many more shows than most designers and directors.  Plus,
they see all the performances of a given show.  So they could help study
the evolution and changes happening to a play during a run.

    In the same token, I feel that the stage hands and crews could be a
ligitimate group to investigate.  Some of the technicians on the
Montreal scene have been working since Expo 67, which gives them a wide
experience on theatrical representation.  We can condescend and assume
that these members of the theatrical community are in it just for the
money and have no creative point of vue, but I think that ignoring them
is a waste for theatre history and its analysis.

Bernard Lavoie