ICWP Fall Readings by Women Playwrights (fwd)

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Oct 20 10:29:07 EDT 1998

Got this from ATHENEWS, there's a playwrights reading in Ontario in
November and beyond!

Cheers, --- Kathy.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:03:28 -0400
From: Linda Eisenstein <herone at EN.COM>
To: ATHENEWS at cwis-20.wayne.edu
Subject: ICWP Fall Readings by Women Playwrights

Please pardon cross-postings:

       *** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE           20 October 1998 ***

The International Center for Women Playwrights (ICWP) is proud to announce
more Global Readings of member works, taking place in October and November.

The second group of readings will take place:
  - Sun., October 25 -- 42nd Street WorkShop, 432 W. 42th St.,
                        New York, NY, USA
  - Sat., November 14 --  Hastings Centennial Manor Auditorium
                          Bancroft, Ontario, CANADA

Other readings are upcoming in Toronto, Baltimore, and Los Angeles,
with more being organized.  Successful readings took place earlier
this month in Portland, Oregon and Grand Fork, North Dakota.

Earlier this year, ICWP member playwrights spearheaded "Readings for
Ratna", an international series of more than 20 play readings on three
continents, on behalf of then-imprisoned Indonesian playwright Ratna
Sarumpaet.  Ms. Sarumpaet was released from detention on 20 May 1998.

The mission of the International Center for Women Playwrights is to
support women playwrights around the world by:
          - bringing international attention to their achievements
          - encouraging production of their plays, translation,
publication, and international distributions of their works
          - providing means for communication and contact among the sister
community of the world's women dramatists
          - assisting them in developing the tools of their craft, in
determining their own artistic forms, and in setting their own critical
standards
          - encouraging scholarly and critical examination and study of
the history and the contemporary work and concerns of women playwrights
          - supporting their efforts to gain professional equality, and to
express their own personal, artistic, social, and political vision without
censorship, harrassment, or personal danger

For more details on ICWP Global Readings:
    http://www.cwave.com/users/sdempsey/readings.htm

For more information on the International Center for Women Playwrights
and its many programs -- including a listing of member plays,
member pages, member marquee of productions, newsletter,
its mailing list ICWP-L, and many links:
    http://www.cwave.com/users/sdempsey/icwphmpg.htm

              ****  PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE  *****

Sun., October 25, 7 p.m. -- 42nd Street WorkShop, 432 W. 42nd Street
  (between 9th & 10th), New York, NY, USA
Organizers: Olga Humphrey & Shirley Sergent.  Contact: orhum at aol.com

    WHEN WILL I DANCE? -  Claire Braz-Valentine (California, USA)

Organizer:  Agnes Waterton.  Contact: glad at mail.bancom.net

    DREAMS OF GLASS by Margaret McSeveney (Edinburgh, Scotland, UK)

    THIS COULD BE THE ONE (Reena) by Jodi Miller (Toronto, CA)

    STILL BLONDE...RUNS DEEP by Jamie Pachino (Chicago, IL, USA)

    DUCK BLIND by Shirley Barrie (Toronto, Ontario, CA)

    FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS by Dawn Severenuk (Toronto, Ontario, CA)

    VERA TAKES HER SEAT by Julie Eble (Philadelphia, PA, USA)

    LADYBUGGED by Laura Henry (New York, NY, USA)

               International Center for Women Playwrights
                   c/o Trish Sandberg, ICWP Co-director
                         Wright State University
                         Theatre Arts Department
                             Dayton, OH 45435
                                   USA

---

Linda Eisenstein    Cleveland, OH, USA   herone at en.com
    http://www.en.com/users/herone

Linda Eisenstein    Cleveland, OH, USA   herone at en.com
    http://www.en.com/users/herone

|ATHE ONLINE is sponsored by the Department of Theatre at Wayne State     |
|University, home of the HILBERRY REPERTORY THEATRE. Department of Theatre|
|Wayne State University, 95 W. Hancock, Detroit, MI,48202, 313.577.3508.  |