Final Call for Papers for Women's History Project (fwd)

Janet Friskney (by way of Kathy Chung <kchung@chass.utoronto.ca>) jfriskne at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Fri Sep 11 08:37:11 EDT 1998

 . . . women in the humanities/arts too!

O'Rourke, Kate writes:
From: "O'Rourke, Kate (CZR)" <kate.orourke at archives.gov.on.ca>
To: "'arcan-l at majordomo.srv.ualberta.ca'"
         <arcan-l at majordomo.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Final Call for Papers for Women's History Project
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:25:48 -0400

Final Call for Papers
Publication -  A Century Stronger: Women's History in Canada, 1900 to
2000

Deadline for submissions is 1 December 1998

The editorial board of A Century Stronger: Women's History in Canada
1900 to 2000 is looking for participants from across Canada to
contribute essays in their field of specialization, or from the records
they work with, to a millennium project documenting women's lives and
achievements.

Our objective is to create a large compilation of stories, vignettes,
and essays that will provide Canadians with a better understanding of
the history of women in Canada over the past century. Our aim is to
publish a book which appeals to the general public, and could be used in
undergraduate courses. This project is to be based on visual documents,
oral history, and textual sources. We are looking specifically for
previously unpublished materials on the following topics: women and
sport, the home, science, commerce and immigration.

If you are a student, professor or a professional working in the
discipline of history as an historian, curator or archivist, please post
this call for papers in your department or place of work.

We are seeking several types of contributions based on archival sources.

1. Short runner or marginal notes (about 3-5 sentences each).
2. Vignettes or short article (up to 5 pages).
3. Information on archival documents of relevance - letters, poems,
anecdotes, photographs, recordings, oral histories, that would be
illustrative of the changes in women's lives over the past century.
Please include a short note identifying the document's significance,
noting any copyright or other restrictions. Please do NOT send original
archival materials - copies or a description will suffice.
4. Illustrations. All images will be returned on request at the end of
the project.

Please send two copies of all submissions to:

Women's History Project
c/o Professor Sharon Cook
Faculty of Education
University of Ottawa
145 Jean-Jacques Lussier
PO Box 450, Station A
Ottawa, ON   K1N 6N5

Or e-mail your submission to Sharon Cook (scook at uottawa.ca) or Kate
O'Rourke (kate.orourke at archives.gov.on.ca)

Please note, copyright will remain with the authors.

Kate O'Rourke
Archives of Ontario
kate.orourke at archives.gov.on.ca
phone: (416) 327-1587