daddy: are vicissitudes inner latitudes?

Howard Beye beyehl at ULETH.CA
Sun Sep 20 21:54:32 EDT 1998

heh ho heh ho
    Micheal Hood wonders about the affect Quebecois theatre has on
anglophone theatre. Good question, for my part the extent of my contact
boils down to the playright Michel Trembley in translation. I have only
heard about Lepage and some of the exciting things he has done both in
and out of Quebec. So my knowledge of Quebec theatre is minimal but I am
fascinated by Michel Trembley's work. However  the University Lethbridge
Theatre Department is putting on Queens  by Normand Chaurette a
Quebecois playright born in 1954 in Montreal.  A fascinating prose poem
set to actors, about six women all revolving around the throne of Edward
the IV as he lies dying. Edward is the elder brother of the infamous
Richard the III. It is the first play that I have been attracted to from
word one and all I can say is brilliant. Now given the fact that it
reads well is by no means the measure of its effectiveness in
performance so my critical jury is still out. I recommend that everyone
read it and marvel. Queens is going up in the winter term some time in
February.
Howard