Howard's Exit

Stuart Scadron-Wattles stuartsw at WORLDCHAT.COM
Mon Sep 21 07:43:10 EDT 1998

        An open note to Howard:
        I have been on the Candrama list for two years now. My experience
has been similar to yours, Howard. There has been little discussion of
theatre, many calls for papers, the occasional call for research help on an
obscure matter, and from time to time, outrage over administrative
behaviour towards academics.
        Not much to interest me.
        I am the Artistic Director of one of those small companies you
mention. We are as passionate as you seem to be about the theatre, and
despite what I am told is an unlikely location for such passion, our
growing audience shares that passion. I stay on the Candrama list because
there is the odd announcement of interest. It is odd, but then, so are we.
We have learned to accept displacement as our lot.
        Likewise,the Candrama list is not the place for your evident and
important passion for the theatre. It is the fusty side of the theatre. You
know, where the drapes get stored. Every theatre has one, even in Canada.
        I wish we had cyberspace for your discussion. At last year's PACT
conference, the "alternative established" theatres gave their e-mail
addresses to Mallory Gilbert at the Tarragon, but the mail list has yet to
be established. (We also get busy elsewhere. Instead of calling for papers,
we exchange useful gossip about Equity concessions. There's a mail list
that could get boring to you as well.)
        Don't just leave the list. And don't just get pissed off at those
who like the fusty side and invited you to depart. If the drapes don't get
stored, the show can't go on. Start a mail list to discuss the state of
theatre in Canada.  Right now, I'm too busy producing and staying afloat to
do it myself. But I'll be a charter member and contributor to yours. And
I'll stay on the Candrama list. (Guillermo usually has something to say of
interest from time to time.)

**** Please note new office address below ****
Stuart Scadron-Wattles
Theatre & Company
P.O.Box 876
27 King Street West
Kitchener, ONT  N2G 4C5
(519) 571-7080
(519) 571-9051 (fax)

For the latest in Theatre & Company news, look us up on Stage Door:
<http://www.stage-door.org/the&co.html>