Voaden National Playwriting Competition

Lee atkinsnl at POST.QUEENSU.CA
Tue Sep 22 16:04:35 EDT 1998

Hello Everyone:

        Here's an announcement you might be interested in.

        Richard Plant

The 1999 Herman Voaden National Playwriting Competition

This competition is made possible by a generous bequest to the Queen's
University Drama Department by the late Herman Voaden of Toronto,
playwright and lifelong champion of Canadian culture.  It is dedicated to
his memory and to his love of creativity and innovation in new Canadian
playwriting.  In keeping with the competition mandate to discover new
Canadian plays, entry is restricted to plays which have not had a
professional production or been accepted for professional production as of
the submission deadline.

The Award

First prize     $3000

Second prize    $2000

Third prize     $1000

In addition, the first and second prize winning plays will be offered a
one-week workshop and public reading by a professional director and cast,
in affiliation with the Thousand Islands Playhouse of Gananoque, Ontario.
The two authors will be playwrights-in-residence for the rehearsal and
reading period.

Competition Guidelines

1 Open to any Canadian citizen or landed immigrant.

2 Only one play per playwright is allowed.

3 Only full-length plays in English will be accepted.  Musicals and plays
for young audiences are not eligible.  Legal clearance of adapted material
not in the public domain is the responsibility of the playwright.

4 Plays must not have been professionally produced or published.

5 Entries will be handled with care, but the Queen's University Drama
Department cannot assume responsibility for lost or damaged scripts.  Only
scripts accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed envelope will be returned.
 Enclose a self-addressed post-card if you wish to be notified that your
play has been received.

Submission Procedures

1  An entry fee of $30 must accompany the submitted play.

2 Submit two copies of the play, bound and typewritten.

3 Submissions must be accompanied by a signed entry form.  These are
available from the Department of Drama, Queen's University, Kingston, ON,
K7L 3N6 or through our internet site at http://www.queensu.ca/drama or by
phoning 613-545-2104.

4 The playwright's name should not appear anywhere on the script.  The
playwright's name, with the play title, should appear only on the entry form.

Deadlines

Plays must be postmarked no later than 15 January 1999.  The names of the
winning plays and playwrights will be announced on 15 May 1999.  Winning
playwrights will be notified personally, followed by public announcement in
the media and to agencies and organizations receiving this notice of the
competition.  A list of the finalists and winners will be available upon
request by enclosing a SASE.

Judging

All plays will be read by an initial group of judges.  A semifinal round
will follow.  The final round will be judged by two distinguished members
of the Canadian Theatre community.  The decision of the judges will be final.

Submission

Two copies of each play, accompanied by the entry form, should be mailed to:

Herman Voaden Playwriting Competition
Drama Department
Queen's University
Kingston, ON, Canada
K7L 3N6

        1999 HERMAN  VOADEN  NATIONAL  PLAYWRITING  COMPETITION

        Official Entry Form

Name of Play            _______________________________________________________

Playwright's Name       _______________________________________________________

Address         _______________________________________________________

Phone #         ______________________  Fax #   _________________________

E-mail                  _______________________________________________________

        In submitting my play to the 1999 Herman Voaden National Playwriting
Competition, I agree to abide by the rules of the competition as stated in
the Competition flyer.  My play has never been produced professionally, or
been accepted for professional production as of this date.  If my play is
accepted for professional production by 15 January 1999, I agree to
withdraw it from consideration by notifying the Voaden Competition, c/o
Department of Drama at Queen's University. If my play is a winner in the
competition, I agree that the program of future productions of the play
shall bear the statement  "... was a winner of the 1999 Herman Voaden
National Playwriting Competition."