the cry of the actor

P. Timothy Ervin ptervin at NEWS1.YASUDA-U.AC.JP
Thu Sep 24 19:11:11 EDT 1998

>>, but I don't see any great difference from this situation than
>> other job "auditions."
>
>One difference is that actors have to "re-apply for the job" every six
>weeks or so, or even more often if they work in tv and film.

Point taken, but I still disagree that the actor is in a unique position on
this point. I take to the "stage" every time I step into a classroom though
perhaps not quite as dramatically. Students are constantly evaluating a
teacher's performance whether through note-taking or napping. Every job
puts demands upon its "actors."

In the teaching profession, one can also point to publications as a form of
"audition" as the same selection process is taking place every time one
submits a paper. A yellow slip rarely offers much constructive
criticism--one can only strive to submit for another "audition." I don't
think that just because one does not enjoy the "audition" process (forever
a harrowing experience), one should give up the institution--it's part of
the profession. Not every actor is suited for every role and some form of
selection is deemed necessary.

ptervin