CANDRAMA and a Question

Guillermo Verdecchia GLV at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Sep 24 22:45:16 EDT 1998

> there are a few Canadian practitioners entering the profession
> (undoubtably some already established in the profession) who are
> interested in exploring theatre in a less realistic vein than is perhaps
> currently followed in English Canada and who take the theatre in Quebec
as
> their inspiration/model.

Three quick thoughts ...

1) Of course, I was generalizing, and, Alastair is quite right,  there is
contact and exchange across the language border and there will always be
exceptions (to any generalization). However, I still think it is fair to
say that while Lepage is an artist of stature who has created some
marvellous theatre, he has not spawned a movement or school or wave or
style. He does not, as far as I can tell, have much impact on the way
theatre is made in Alberta or BC (as the initial question, I believe, put
it). This is not a problem or a failing.

2)The work of Robert Lepage (and/or "theatre in Quebec") is not the only
alternative for those who reject realism, naturalism, and/or the well-made
play. Daniel MacIvor, John Mighton, Maristella Roca, Neil Munro, Denise
Clarke, Blake Brooker, Daniel Brooks, Tomson Highway, (me and others) have
chosen to explore something other than realism.

3) Let's be ware of thinking of theatre-in-Quebec as a monolith. There are
all kinds of people working there in all sorts of different ways.

I am curious as to who (or what theatres) you have in mind, Alastair, when
you refer  to English language practitioners who take Quebecois theatre as
their model/inspiration and what elements of Quebecois practice and work
they draw on. I, for example, like (and try to do the same whenever
possible) the practice of developing work over a period of time with a
number of "public" phases in the development.

Cheers,

GLV