messages, messages, messages

Edward Mullaly mullaly at UNB.CA
Sun Sep 27 14:14:54 EDT 1998

I am totally cognizant of the irony of sending everyone a message on the
subject of everyone's receiving too many messages. The problem is outlined
in the paragraph below, laid out with the euphonic clarity we come to expect
of the gurus of our Computer Services:

>>    On Monday Sept. 21, raida at STARNET.COM.EG sent a message to the
candrama list which included a Microsoft Word attachment encoded in
MIME base 64.  A mime capable mail agent running on a PC would have
been able to read this attachment.  Beginning on Wed. Sept 23,
zopa at PACIFIC.NET.SG, who apparently does NOT have a mime capable mail
agent, began replying to the message which was sent to the candrama
list which caused another copy of the message to be sent to everyone
which caused zopa at PACIFIC.NET.SG to again reply to the list and so on.
The original message was sent once.  All versions of it since then have
been coming from zopa at PACIFIC.NET.SG. <<<<

I think the unintended difficulty is close to being resolved. But, while I
have your attention, September is the month when university computer
supervisors close off accounts of those who have graduated and moved along.
This means that I am receiving emails from various webmasters letting me
know that so-and-so has no longer an account at that facility and thus
CanDrama emails can no longer be delivered. Such accounts I quietly delete
from the CanDrama list.  In other cases, postmasters return CanDrama
messages to me because 'mail boxes' of individuals have been full for some
time.  In due course, I delete these individuals which we are unable to
reach. Of course, I can't inform these people whose addresses are no longer
operative that they're being deleted from CanDrama, because their addresses
are no longer operative. If you hear of anyone who no longer receives
CanDrama messages and doesn't know why, could you have them contact me?

Thank you for your patience.

Rain in the maritimes this day. Good for the golf greens. Great day for the
Jays; the season's over!!!!

Edward Mullaly                Consensus is unnatural for us.
Department of English         We're an English Department.  Let's
University of New Brunswick,  act like one.
Fredericton, NB  E3B 5A3
CANADA  (506) 453-4676                    -- Russo, 'Straight Man'
   fax: (506) 453-5069