Does the taste of an audience limit the theatre? Was- CANDRAMA and a Question

Elizabeth Fitzpatrick efitzpat at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Sep 30 14:05:12 EDT 1998

It is my impression - based on just 3 years residence in Canada - that
Canadian directors seriously underestimate their audience's ability to
deal with serious and complex emotional and social questions, and with
"non-naturalistic" forms of staging. The success of certain shows at the
World Stage Festival in Toronto last Summer I think proved that.
My big criticism of Canadian theatre would be that texts and styles seem
to be over-clarified, leaving the audience to do no work at all. That is
one of the reasons I so rarely attend theatre here, yet when I'm in other
countries I go to see as much as possible. I'm not certain where to point
the finger - there are good actors and good and interesting texts, which
are comparable in quality with those of any other country.
Incidentally, the French theatre in Montreal does experiment, and is quite
excellent.