New Directions in Theatre Education

Blair Fisher b_fisher at DOUGLAS.BC.CA
Thu Apr 1 18:18:04 EST 1999

To all members of the ATHE and CANDRAMA lists:

I have been asked by the administration of my College to report on New Directions for our Performing Arts Department. I am not a member of the Theatre faculty (I am a musician) and would greatly appreciate the help of those of you on the list with expertise in theatre curriculum and industry trends.

In the field of music education, I believe there are many changes that need to be addressed‹new technology, changing public tastes, the emergence of jazz and world music, etc. etc. My sense is that there are not the same kinds of pressures on Theatre education, but perhaps this is due to my unfamiliarity with the subject.

If you have any thoughts on this subject please reply by email, giving your name and the institution at which you teach (or study). For general comments I suggest that you post a copy on the list as well, so that others might become interested and join in. I will include some specific questions below--feel free to answer as many or as few of these as you like.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Name:                                   Institution:

NEW DIRECTIONS

Although our two year Theatre Program is partially transferable to a number of universities, it seems that transfer is not our students' main concern. Most seem to use their Douglas College experience as a self-contained two-year introduction to acting. This four semester program includes:

Semester 1
History of Theatre I
Acting and Creating
Speech for the Stage
Creative Movement for the Stage
Play Production 1

Semester 2
History of Theatre II
The Actor and His/Her Style
Intermediate Speech
Advanced Problems in Stage Movement
Play Production II

Semester 3
History of Theatre III
Advanced Acting
Voice and Movement on Stage
Play Production III
Elective

Semester 4
History of Theatre IV
Applied Theatre
Advanced Acting Techniques
Creative Movement for the Stage
Play Production IV
Elective

1. In your opinion, have there been any recent changes in the theatre profession, education system, or in society that would suggest changes to the above curriculum at this time?

2. Should any of our current offerings  receive more or less emphasis, in your opinion?

4.      Can you suggest any resources (people, publications, web sites, etc.) that could be used to help in this project?

5. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Blair Fisher,
Douglas College
Box 2503, New Westminster, BC
CANADA V3L 5B2
Tel: (604) 527-5272  Fax: (604) 527-5095