spam

Glen Nichols nicholsg at UMONCTON.CA
Tue Apr 20 15:31:21 EDT 1999

Unsolicited email is as irritating as any other form of unwelcome advertising intrusions...how many suppers have been interrupted at your house by yet another long-distance carrier. However, it is the price we pay for freedom of communication. And, frankly, it is a price I am very happy to pay.

CANDRAMA is an ummoderated list, which I believe means that there is no "human" discrimination at the distribution end... if the server receives the msg, it sends it out.  There is, however, very effective "human" discrimination at the receiver end... simply utilize the delete button.

Beyond the question of unsolicited junk mail, with the ever-present threat of viruses and whatnot, everyone should be practicing "safe-emailing" in any case. That means if you don't recognize the name of the sender or the topic in the subject header, simply delete the message before you open it.  It this is done then the junk mail problem also vanishes, at least as far as the user is concerned (it is still a system problem, but that is a much larger issue).

My inbox receives between 15 and 30 msgs a day, and I delete likely 90% of these without reading them. Some of these are likely "junk" mail, but the operation is so simple and fast, I fail to see what the problem is.  If one receives hundreds of junk messages a day, then yes I can see the difficulty, but a few here and there....

Happy deleting
Glen

Glen Nichols
Département d'anglais