Donation Withdrawn from NAC

David Eden david.eden at UTORONTO.CA
Thu Jan 21 15:31:06 EST 1999

While at home for lunch today I saw, on T.V., the press conference from
the NAC about the $1,000,000 donation.

Apparently, there was a side agreement that the NAC would pay Aleksi
Yashin's parents $85,000 each year out of the $200,000 he was donating.
No one appears to have known about it until the Executive Director left,
then the staff and board decided to refuse the donation.  The money was
to be paid to his parents for "consulting work."  I am afraid I didn't
catch the whole thing, but it was quite amazing to see this arts-related
item superceding the regular news.

David Eden
Gerstein Library
University of Toronto