Yashin and Philanthropy

Richard Plant rplant at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Sun Jan 24 13:07:32 EST 1999

Hi Alastair, et al:

While the choice between the Virgin Isles and a small theatre doesn't seem
to me to be entirely a "silly pipe dream", as you put it, it has a good
amount of dreaming involved. Not silly dreaming, however. One of the great
obstacles to philanthropic support of the arts in our
country seems to me to be the generally low regard the arts are held in by
the largest number of people. This climate must be changed before an
attitude prevails which would see value in giving to support artistic
expression. The changes need to be implemented from the elementary schools
on, and will require a generation or more to become effective. And the
changes need to address the climate by developing a very broad definition
of artistic expression and a clear presentation of the values inherent in
the arts. In the meantime, each of us needs to take whatever steps are
in our paths to provide value statements on the arts and to encourage
people's involvment and attendance at arts activities -- at all levels.
 Even a little bit helps, I like to think.

But this generalized statement on my part seems to me more pie-in-the-sky
than your direct comments.

Richard Plant
Dept of Drama, Queen's University
and