The National Post: "The intellectual soft-shoe shuffle takes centre stage"

Anton Wagner awagner at YORKU.CA
Wed Jul 28 20:14:53 EDT 1999

Despite its title, there is a most interesting, humourous and non-Toronto centric review of Establishing Our Boundaries: English-Canadian Theatre Criticism, by playwright and sometime-theatre critic Frank Moher, published in the July 22 National Post.

Moher expresses surprise at the "lively and capacious" nature of the book: "Lively, because this collection of essays reviewing Canadian theatre reviewing since the early 19th century, as well as the peccadilloes of its practitioners, is written entirely by academics; if one doesn't expect good writing from critics, one expects downwright tedious writing from professors. But there is only a little of that here. Capacious, because Wagner has included contributions from writers on the subject of critics from across the country, which ought to be second-nature in Canadian cultural journalism, but rarely is."

For the full text of Moher's long review, see www.nationalpost.com/network.asp?f=990722/35174.html

Copies of Establishing Our Boundaries are still available at a 20% publication discount by phoning the University of Toronto Press toll-free number 1-800-221-9985 and quoting the "UTP Marketing Code 1025."