NWP celebrates July 1 with new website

Paul Martin Paul.Martin at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Jun 30 12:02:15 EDT 1999

<apologies to anyone who receives this more than once>

Northwest Passages: Canadian Literature Online (www.nwpassages.com) is
pleased to announce that we will be celebrating Canada Day 1999 by
launching our new and improved website on July 1.

The new-look Northwest Passages will introduce several important new
features to the website, the most significant of which is a more
user-friendly searchable database which will still allow our customers to
"browse" the site alphabetically as they did before. Developed by Mediaweb
Solutions of Kamloops B.C., the "B.O.S.S." (Best Online Store Solution)
allows us to keep our database extremely current and permits the addition
of very detailed information about each title. One of the more beneficial
improvements to the user interface is the addition of secure on-line
ordering and a shopping basket.  Orders can still be called in to our brand
new toll-free number: 1-877-7CANLIT

An equally exciting improvement to the site's content is the debut of
French-language books from publishers including Les Éditions du Boréal, XYZ
éditeur, and Seuil, the prestigious French publisher of writers like Anne
Hébert and Robert Lalonde. Over the next several months Northwest Passages
will be establishing relationships with other French publishers from
Québec. It is our conviction that in order to promote and sell Canadian
literature, all the literatures of Canada must be represented on our site.

July 1 also marks the beginning of paid advertising at Northwest Passages
in the form of banner ads. Unlike every other Canadian and American online
superstores, though, banner ads will be the only part of the site ever paid
for by publishers. Northwest Passages will continue to guarantee that no
content or feature space on their site will ever be available for purchase
or "sponsorship" by a third party.

A NOTE TO OUR FRIENDS AND CUSTOMERS:
People often mention our very personalized service. It's precisely that
contact with visitors and customers alike that helps make Northwest
Passages such a blast for Rob and me. Being able to use our own expertise
on a daily basis, talking to people from all over the world, and helping
readers find great books make this a job like none we've ever had. For that
reason, no matter how large the site and company grows over the next
several years, Northwest Passages will remain true to everything that
inspired its creation: friendship, enthusiasm, entrepreneurship, and a love
of great books.

ABOUT US:
Launched in the summer of 1996 by Rob Stocks, a web developer in Kamloops,
BC and Paul Martin, a PhD student in Edmonton, Alberta, Northwest Passages
is a virtual bookstore like no other. Specializing only in Canadian
literature, Northwest Passages has earned an international reputation as
the number one destination on the Web not only for Canadian books but for
in-depth information on Canadian literature. In the last three years,
Northwest Passages has sold books to readers in over fifteen countries and
has helped establish Canadian studies libraries in countries as diverse as
the Czech Republic, Italy, and Syria. Today, Northwest Passages routinely
receives over 20 000 page views per month.

For further information, please contact Paul Martin at 780.434.1988 or Rob
Stocks at 1.888.374.0906 or by e-mail at info at nwpassages.com.   Better yet,
try out our new toll-free line 1.877.7CANLIT

Cheers,
     Paul Martin
     Northwest Passages