Encyclopedia this week - good news

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Sun Mar 7 18:14:38 EST 1999

Hello All

Things are going swimmingly with three separate sponsors contacting me this
week and a profile in Sympatico's Netlife magazine. We're also very
delighted about being chosen as a site of the week by Suite101.com a
community-based search engine with a theatre writer, Steve Alper, who
really know his business (if I do say so myself). You can have a look at
his review at http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/240/16714.

Traffic is exploding and, with a new gadget installed to count unique
visitors (instead of just hits) it seems that the visitor to hit ratio is
about 1:1.3 (or that the average individual comes back to the index 1.3
times). Which means very few come back to the index page and instead go
wandering off into the encyclopedia, surfing it like I used to surf our
World Book Encyclopedia when I was a kid. I love that people are using it
this way. In recent conversations I called this spiralling information
(which I considered a good thing) - you spiral out (via the links) from
what you're looking for to what you find interesting until, without
realizing it, you are getting a colourful, varried and utterly individual
take on Canadian theatre.

Thea-Tricks is awfully popular but no one got the first Doozey so I upped
the ante/prize. Heavenly Voices, at last, is starting to pop and profile
updates are now being provided by even the major theatres in the country so
it does seem, all in all, that the word is getting out.

New Profiles:
Green Thumb Theatre For Young People (Company, Vancouver)
Dark, Randall Paris (Director/playwright/producer)
Essiembre, Paul (actor)
Pomrenski, Johanne (stage manager)
Garnhum, Dennis (director)

Updates:
Reviews; Thea-Tricks; Sources; Heavenly Voices; Conolly, LW; Whittaker, H.;
Grand Theatre, London; Thompson, K.; Burroughs, J.; Theatre New Brunswick;
Learning, W.; Playwrights Theatre Centre; Wright Family; Roy, J.; "Counter
Offence"; Varma, R.; Anvar, C.; Langedijk, J.; Levebvre, P.; Poissant, C.;
Picard, L.; Roux, JL; Vajda, S.; Cyr, RR; Briere, B.; Papineau, F.; Larue,
R.; Goyette, C.; Arteau, L.; St-Aubin, F.; PaP; Factory Theatre; "Suburban
Motel"; Dykstra, T.; Champagne, D.; Greenblatt, R.; Theatre Passe Muraille;
Potter, M.; Neptune Theatre; Gilbert, S.; Foon, D.; "New Canadian Kid";
Children's Theatre;  Monette, R.; Plummer, C.; Saskatchewan;  Francis, D.;
Beaulne, M.; Chasse, H.; Sorgini, L.; Pasquier, C.; Guerin, M.; Mongeau,
S.; Grenier, S.; Theatre Il Va Sans Dire; Mercure, M.; Dinning, J.C.; Lyne,
S.; One Yellow Rabbit; Gaboriau, L.; Centaur Theatre; "Encore une fois, si
vous le permettez/For The Pleasure of Seeing Her Again"

Cheers!

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com
Subscribe to the free Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the WWW bulletin
(and hear about new features before anyone else) by sending an e-mail to:
canadiantheatre-subscribe at listbot.com