Ten Best Lists

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Wed May 5 14:46:46 EDT 1999

What I don't understand is why, with all these divergent backgrounds we
still all: watch the last episode of Seinfeld, hockey night in Canada,
Princess Di's marriage and funeral, coverage of Littleton but, for some odd
reason, don't see the same plays.

We may or may not agree on plays in this forum, but out there, where people
are voting on this, people across the country know who George F. Walker and
Michel Tremblay are. (And, BTW, Guillermo Verdecchia and Frank Moher too). I
think the very concept of theatre - a number of people sitting in a hall
responding - lays waste to this argument that people don't have favourites
and don't react as a group. The average Canadian city (which goes into
making the average Canadian audience) is very diverse (granted, at some
theatres less than others) and they often, together, go to a play. And like
it or hate it and say, sometimes, "That's the best play I've seen."

I have read/seen two plays in ten years that have stopped me in my tracks
and they were both Canadian: Motel Helene by Serge Boucher and Inexpressible
Island by David Young. I have absolutely no shame when I say this and you
take from the statement what you wish.

The idea of the list - and publishing the results - is to get people talking
about theatre. Period.

Gaetan