MUCH ADO ABOUT OTTAWA

David Whiteley ej691 at FREENET.CARLETON.CA
Fri Nov 19 11:55:17 EST 1999

  To Everyone Within Spitting Distance of Ottawa: (others, SEE BELOW)

Sock 'n' Buskin presents

William Shakespeare's

Much Ado About Nothing

Adapted and Directed by David Whiteley
November 18 (Oh no!  It's already started!)-20 and 25-27, 8 pm (matinee Nov.
27 at 10:30 am)
Alumni Theatre, Carleton University
Tickets $10 ($6 students/seniors) : (613) 520-3770

This new adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing sets the action backstage of a
1999 Messina Little Theatre production of Romeo & Juliet.  The action is
compressed into real time, allowing events from Much Ado to unfold behind
the scenes over the course of an evenings performance of R & J.  The
characters/actors delight in finding opportunities to work pithy quotes from
all of Shakespeare's plays into the dialogue.  Original pop music for
Shakespeare's songs complete with gogo-esque choreography round out the
carnivalesque atmosphere.  An irreverant, literate and entirely original
approach to this well-heeled comedy.

BELOW

If by chance I have caught anyone's fancy with the description of this
adaptation, but you are unable to attend, I would be happy to share my
script with you.  While I may be tooting my own horn, I honestly believe
this is an adaptation and a production worthy of note, and I will do any
modest office to help my cousin to a good husband.  Sorry, all the quoting
Shakespeare has gone to my head.  I mean, I will do whatever I can to get
attention brought to this fine effort.

David Whiteley, director