Encyclopedia News; November 25

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Sun Nov 28 19:30:36 EST 1999

Hello All

Well, for the first time we got over 6,000 visitors the week of November
7-13 which is extraordinary (and about six times what I initially projected
- in grant applications -  and three times what we expected, given growth to
date...) for the beginning of the second year of the site's operation.

But we also had a little problem; someone in a newsgroup complained to my
ISP that I was spamming with the weekly bulletins. I talked my ISP out of
cancelling my account (the rules-of-use guy agreed that the bulletins were
not spam and belonged where they were sent) and then posted a statement to
the ten newsgroups in question about how a) we were not selling anything
with the bulletins and b) the information is, in many cases (ie:
aus.theatre), requested. Just to show you how a little thing can turn into a
potential catastrophe (my mail was being bounced all over God's Green Acre
until I got the thing settled...).

Also, during the break, we had a wonderful discussion about a profilee who
asked that her date of birth be removed from the profile. I had to refuse
because the information is too important in a serious consideration of her
work. (If you know the place and time, you also know a good deal about the
influences...) The people on the Candrama discussion list were of great help
in making the final decision.

Anyone catch the horror movie on NBC, "Y2K"? There's something to get you
thinking, if only about how lame network television is. However,
anecdotally, a close friend who works in management in a major
communications company and who would normally have a long weekend then is
expected at work at midnight, Dec 31. My brother in the army, with seniority
coming out of his ears, is expected at work. A person at my ISP let it slip
that he is working too. (And a close friend has joined a Doom's Day cult...I
wish I was joking.) Take this as a caution, not as a reason to go mad. If
you'd like more personal advice, based on the mountains of info I have read
about this, contact me directly. Personally, having been in the middle of
one party that turned into a riot (Stanley Cup), I'm staying in.

I was working on the calendar this week and noticed how many companies are
running shows soon after January 1. I wonder if they have checked: their
computerized ticket systems; phone systems; lighting boards/sound systems;
mail systems; fire prevention and security systems. Not wanting to sound
like a prophet of doom (as I truly believe that little glitches will all get
sorted out in the fairly short run) but better to run the software before
the problem than hire the technician (at ridiculous
"I-can-charge-you-anything" markups) afterwards...

Things incredibly busy in the "Reviews" section since the last bulletin with
8 reviews from Montreal, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and Halifax being added.

Don't forget Heavenly Voices for your regional news, job postings or
audition calls. (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/heavenlyvoices.html)

Announce your show!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/calendarguidlines.html) If you want
to see what a typical region's and month's line-up can look like go to
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/atoc99.html)

Register your link too!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

New Profiles:
Shamata, Michael (Director/Writer)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/s/shamatam.html)
League of Nathans, The (Play, Jason Sherman)

Updates:
Thea-Tricks; Calendar (7 productions/tours  added); Links; Heavenly Voices;
Links; Reviews (8 reviews added); Stickland, E.;  Masthead; Grand Theatre,
London; Trotter, K.; Alberta Theatre Projects; Griffiths, L.; Carver, B.;
Findley, T.; Carlson, L.; Nelson, G.; Prinsloo, I.; Ouzounian, R.; Musical
Theatre; Dalpe, JM; Campbell, D.; Gelinas, G.; Gerussi, B.; Mallette, N.;
Drapeau, S.; Grand Theatre, London; Piller, H.; Theatre New Brunswick;
Foster, N.; Prinsloo, I.; Sherman, J.; Winnpeg Jewish Theatre; Greenblatt,
R.; Asselstine, E.

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com or
http://cantheatre.canoe.ca
If you want to join the Encyclopedia's mailing list (and get information
before anyone else as well as the Monday Hint for the Thea-Tricks Doozey),
simply send an e-mail to blajeune at total.net with the subject heading
"Mailing list"; if you wish to be removed from this mailing list, simply